Construction on the Long Beach Naval Shipyard was started in November 1940 and the first major ship was drydocked in September 1942. Construction of facilities continued and by 1943 it went into full production for the repair, overhaul and conversion of the ships of the Pacific Fleet. Today the Shipyard has three graving docks, four industrial piers, two wharfs and extensive shop and office complexes and is one of the Navys most modern shipyards. Recent construction of the ElectricalElectronicWeapons Facility, EngineeringManagement Building, Service Group Building and the Pipe and Copper Shop are a continuing part of the Shipyard Modernization Program. Among the Shipyards landmark features are the giant Moreell Drydock and the YD-171 crane.