M5-4 (E12-7R1) Mechanized Flame Thrower Installed in M4A1 or M4A3 Medium Tanks
STANDARD OIL DEVELOPMENT CO ELIZABETH NJ
Pagination or Media Count:
Under contract OEMsr-390 and at the request of Chemical Warfare Service, the Standard Oil Development Company undertook the development and design of the Mechanized Flame Thrower E12-7R1 which was later standardized as the M5-4. Much of the development work had been completed in the design of the earlier Model Q prototype, the Navy Mark 1 the E7-7 M5A1 light tank, and the R7-LVT-Al amphibious tank units, but additional improvements were developed and tested under the M5-4 assignment. Acting as engineering consultants for Chemical Warfare Service, and with the guidance and cooperation of Chemical Warfare Service-Technical Division, Headquarters A.S.F., and the New Developments Division, the assignment was carried out in close cooperation with the C.W.S. prime contractor, the M. W. Kellogg Company, and their subcontractor, the Lecourtenay Company. Initiated in August, 1944, this assignment also included the inspection and testing of the first twenty units, which were completed in May, 1945, establishing inspection procedures for large scale production, training of two U.S. Army instructor teams, issuing operating and maintenance manuals, and providing a field consultant under O.F.S. in the theater of operations.
- Combat Vehicles