Accession Number:

ADA636578

Title:

A History of the Rock Island District U.S. Army Corps of Engineers 1866-1983

Descriptive Note:

Corporate Author:

ARMY ENGINEER DISTRICT ROCK ISLAND IL

Personal Author(s):

Report Date:

1984-01-01

Pagination or Media Count:

453.0

Abstract:

The story of the Corps of Engineers on the Mississippi River above St. Louis began shortly after the Louisiana Purchase in 1803 with the first tentative exploration by Major Stephen H. Long. Sporadic at first, the work of improving the channel of the Upper Mississippi became a permanent job in 1866 with the beginnings of the Rock Island District. This volume attempts to survey those early years of trial and experiment and provide a more detailed account of the growth and development of the Rock Island District from 1866 to the present.

Subject Categories:

  • Humanities and History
  • Hydrology, Limnology and Potamology
  • Civil Engineering
  • Military Forces and Organizations

Distribution Statement:

APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE