Accession Number:

ADA550567

Title:

Strengthening Our Military Families: Meeting America's Commitment

Descriptive Note:

Corporate Author:

EXECUTIVE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT WASHINGTON DC

Personal Author(s):

Report Date:

2011-01-01

Pagination or Media Count:

29.0

Abstract:

The President has made the care and support of military families a top national security policy priority. We recognize that military families come from the active duty Armed Forces, the National Guard, and the Reserves. They support and sustain troops fighting to defend the Nation, they care for our wounded warriors, and they survive our fallen heroes. The well-being of military families is an important indicator of the well-being of the overall force. At a time when America is at war and placing considerable, sustained demands on its troops and their families, it is especially important to address the family, home, and community challenges facing our all-volunteer force. For years to come, military families and Veterans will continue to face unique challenges, and at the same time will also have great potential to continue contributing to our communities and country. Less than 1 percent of Americans serve in uniform today, but they bear 100 percent of the burden of defending our Nation. Currently, more than 2.2 million service members make up America s all-volunteer force in the active, National Guard, and Reserve components. Since September 11, 2001, more than two million troops have been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. Fifty five percent of the force is married and 40 percent have two children.1 Only 37 percent of our families live on military installations the remaining 63 percent live in over 4,000 communities nationwide. Multiple deployments, combat injuries, and the challenges of reintegration can have far-reaching effects on not only the troops and their families, but also upon America s communities as well. These challenges should be at the forefront of our national discourse.

Subject Categories:

  • Personnel Management and Labor Relations
  • Medicine and Medical Research
  • Military Forces and Organizations
  • Military Operations, Strategy and Tactics

Distribution Statement:

APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE