Accession Number:

ADA383165

Title:

Surrounded by History: Memorializing Our Past, Fort Eustis and Fort Story

Descriptive Note:

Corporate Author:

TRANSPORTATION CORPS WASHINGTON DC

Personal Author(s):

Report Date:

2000-07-01

Pagination or Media Count:

78.0

Abstract:

This report tells the history of the U.S. Army Transportation Corps and the history of Fort Story and Fort Eustis. Fort Story became a military installation in 1914 when the state of Virginia gave land to the U. S. government to erect fortifications. The War Department named it Fort Story, after General John Patten Story, one of the most noted coast artillerymen of his day. Located on historic Mulberry Island, Fort Eustis is the home of the U.S. Army Transportation Corps. In colonial times, Mulberry Island was a prosperous farming community, and Bourbon, one of the first brick houses has been restored at Fort Eustis. The American Revolution by- passed Mulberry Island and even the siege of Yorktown just a few miles away seems to have had little effect on the inhabitants.

Subject Categories:

  • Humanities and History
  • Surface Transportation and Equipment
  • Logistics, Military Facilities and Supplies

Distribution Statement:

APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE