Accession Number:

ADA374285

Title:

Defense Transportation: More Reliable Information Key to Managing Airlift Services More Efficiently

Descriptive Note:

Corporate Author:

GENERAL ACCOUNTING OFFICE WASHINGTON DC NATIONAL SECURITY AND INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS DIV

Personal Author(s):

Report Date:

2000-03-01

Pagination or Media Count:

30.0

Abstract:

The U.S. Transportation Command provides global air, land, and sea transportation services for all defense components in order to maintain a mobilization capability in time of peace and to meet national security needs in time of war. Its air transportation services are provided through the Air Force Air Mobility Command. In fiscal year 1997, the Air Mobility Command accounted for about 63 percent 2.5 billion of the total reported operating costs 4.0 billion of the U.S. Transportation Command, with most of the remaining 37 percent 1.5 billion representing the operating costs of the Army Military Traffic Management Command and the Navy Military Sealift Command for land and sea transportation, respectively.

Subject Categories:

  • Military Aircraft Operations
  • Administration and Management

Distribution Statement:

APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE