A Short History of Camp Pickett.
DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY WASHINGTON DC
Pagination or Media Count:
Camp Pickett, later Fort Pickett, was activated in 1942 as a training base. Its location, in the Piedmont region of Virginia, was considered ideal because of its proximity to the great port of Hampton Roads and to the Allegheny Mountain Range as a field training area for such infantry divisions as the 79th, 3rd, 45th, 28th, 31st, 77th, and 78th, and the 3rd Armored Division, as well as others. After World War 2 Camp Pickett was deactivated and reactivated several times. Later re-named Fort Pickett, it is now a sub-installation of Fort Lee.
- Logistics, Military Facilities and Supplies