A History of Fort A. P. Hill
ARMY WAR COLLEGE CARLISLE BARRACKS PA CARLISLE BARRACKS United States
Pagination or Media Count:
Fort A.P. Hill is the sixth largest military installation on the East Coast. Its 49,600 acres of maneuver area as well as 26,700 acres of uninterrupted ranges make it one of the most useful all-purpose, year-round training facilities in the United States. The installation, which was initially envisioned as a First Army maneuver area was established in June 1941. It was originally named A.P. Hill Military Reservation, in honor of Confederate Lieutenant General Ambrose Powell Hill Junior. It served as a maneuver training area for the three activated National Guard divisions of the II Army Corps. Prior to 1941, the federal and state installations under the command of First Army lacked sufficient training areas and artillery ranges for division size training. Through the years, it has been called Camp A.P. Hill and is currently known as Fort A.P. Hill. During the early years of World War II, the post served as a training site for division sized units and corps support troops. In 1944 the Quartermaster, Transportation and Engineer Schools opened Officer Candidate Schools OCS and enlisted replacement field training centers at A.P. Hill. By the end of WWII, these activities dwindled and the post became a weekend and summer training facility for the National Guard and the organized Reserve During the Korean Conflict, the Third Armored Cavalry Regiment trained tank replacement crews in maneuver and gunnery at A.P. Hill Military Reservation. The 43d Infantry Division trained there in May and June of 1951. The VII Corps Headquarters staged at A.P. Hill before deploying to Europe in November 1951.