Accession Number:

ADA190706

Title:

Archeological and Historical Investigations Old Forsyth Site (23TA41) Taney County, Missouri,

Descriptive Note:

Corporate Author:

ARCHEOLOGICAL ASSESSMENTS INC NASHVILLE AR

Report Date:

1987-12-01

Pagination or Media Count:

180.0

Abstract:

A program of site evaluation was carried out at the site of Old Forsyth, 23TA041, Taney County, Missouri. The goal of the effort was to provide information regarding the sites historical context and to document the nature of the archeological deposits present at the site in support of a nomination of the site to the National Register of Historic Places. The site, which is presently within the US Army Corps of Engineers Public Use Area, Shadow Rock Park, has been extensively modified since its original settlement in the early decades of he 19th century. Situated at the confluence of Swan Creek and White River, Forsyth was a major commercial site for the development of southwest Missouri prior to the Civil War and became the county seat for Taney County in 1845. It was the location of several skirmishes during the Civil War and destroyed as part of a Federal operation in 1863. The town was rebuilt shortly after the Civil War and reestablished itself as an important political and economic center within southwest Missouri. The town was removed in the 1950s when Bull Shoals Lake was created. The site contained an extensive prehistoric Archaic component in addition to materials related to its occupation in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Subject Categories:

  • Humanities and History

Distribution Statement:

APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE