Cultural Resources Survey of the Angelina Revetment Item, St. James Parish, Louisiana.
GOODWIN (R CHRISTOPHER) AND ASSOCIATES INC NEW ORLEANS LA
Pagination or Media Count:
The area was settled during the Spanish Colonial Period 1763-1803 by Acadian immigrants. During the nineteenth century, several sugar plantations developed in the project area, although farmsteads continued to exist. A lumber yard and the Central Sugar Factory were established near the project corridor by the end of the 1800s. Eight sites were recorded during archeological survey. Sites 16SJ41, 16SJ43, 16SJ43, 163J44, 162J46, 16SJ47, and 16SJ48 all yielded small collections of habitation refuse dating from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Because feature data, contextual integrity, and significant artifactual remains are lacking, none of these sites were determine to be significant. Site 16SJ42 represents the remains of residential structures for employees of the Lutcher and Moore Company Sawmill. Testing failed to reveal in situ deposits, and extreme water-wear on the artifacts suggested mixing of formerly discrete remains. Therefore, the site was not determined to be significant. Site 16SJ45 yielded a large collection of refuse associated with the former Golden Grove Plantation. Testing failed to reveal evidence of undisturbed cultural deposits thus the site was not determined to be significant. No additional investigation is recommended for any of these sites. Author
- Humanities and History