Archaeological Investigations at the East Aberdeen Site (22Mo819), Tombigbee River Multi-Resource District, Alabama and Mississippi.
Final rept. 1978-1979,
MISSISSIPPI STATE UNIV MISSISSIPPI STATE DEPT OF ANTHROPOLOGY
Pagination or Media Count:
The East Aberdeen site, in Monroe Co., Mississippi, was located on two topographic high spots near the Tombigbee River, with the culture-bearing deposit composed of dark brown sandy earth one to three meters in depth. Early, Middle, and Late Archaic and Miller II and III components were identified, with the Late Archaic Benton phase component being the most extensive and significant. One Benton level yielded a radiocarbon data of ca. 3500 B.C. The main resource used throughout the prehistoric period was hickory nuts deer, turkey and turtle were the most common animal remains. The site was used as a base camp during Benton times and as a transitory camp during the other periods. The site, then known as Martins Bluff, was again used beginning in 1830, as documented by an historic records search and archaeological work. It was a ferry and steamboat landing, with a store, warehouses, wheat mill, and residences, until 1873, when it declined due to construction of a bridge across the river. The site saw a resurgence during the 1920s when a sawmill was built nearby. The archaeological work produced data on residences, diet, and shifting site use during the period. Author
- Humanities and History