Accession Number:

ADA036165

Title:

Relative Hearing Levels and Types of Hearing loss among Four Selected Groups of Air Force Personnel

Descriptive Note:

Corporate Author:

SCHOOL OF AVIATION MEDICINE RANDOLPH AFB TX

Report Date:

1959-04-01

Pagination or Media Count:

14.0

Abstract:

Pure-tone air-conduction and bone-conduction audiometric tests were administered to 125 Air Force personnel. One group consisted of 25 non-noise- exposed men. The other three groups were noise-exposed individuals Class A, 50 Class B re AFR 160-3, 1956, and 25 Class C 500-2000 cps average of more than 15 db. Relative hearing levels of right and left ears within and between groups are presented. Results showed good agreement between median and mean thresholds at almost all test frequencies no significant differences between right and left ears within groups that the Class Ann and A median and mean thresholds were within a few decibels of the American Standard reference normal that the Class B group deviated from the Class A groups only at 3000, 4000, and 6000 cps that, with the exception of Class B at 4000 and 6000 cps, the Class C group was significantly different from the other groups at all test frequencies that approximately 13 percent of Class B and Class C groups had either conductive or mixed-type hearing loss, the remaining 87 percent being perceptive-type hearing loss that 35 out of 75 individuals in Class B and Class C groups expressed a preference for an ear and of these 35 individuals, 25 chose the better ear correctly.

Subject Categories:

  • Civil Engineering
  • Environmental Health and Safety

Distribution Statement:

APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE