History of 1629th Engineer Construction Battalion
1629th Engineer Construction Battalion, U. S. Army Washington United States
Pagination or Media Count:
The 1629th Engineer Construction Battalion, along with a number of other construction battalions, was organized for the purpose of furnishing support to combat operations in all theaters of war. In the zone of communications, temporary landing strips for bombers, warehouses for medical, quartermaster, and ordnance supplies, and many roads and docks had to be built to keep the materiel moving to the front, also, facilities had to be enlarged to handle the ever increasing flow of troops and equipment. The need for construction engineers was deemed, so great that in the summer of 1944 the Corps of Engineers was given top priority among all non-combatant units. Men were called from all components of the army. Men from the Military Police, Ordnance Department, Signal Corps, Field Artillery, Medical Corps, and from the Combat Engineers, as well as from Engineer basic training battalions, were transferred from their outfits and shipped to Fort Lewis, Washington. Here, most of these newly converted Engineers went through a specialists school, to better fit them for a specific job in the units to be formed.
- Civil Engineering
- Logistics, Military Facilities and Supplies