Determination of NRHP Eligibility for 26 Buildings at Fort McCoy, Wisconsin
ENGINEER RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CENTER CHAMPAIGN United States
Pagination or Media Count:
The U.S. Congress codified the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 NHPA, the nations most effective cultural resources legislation to date, mostly through establishing the National Register of Historic Places NRHP. The NHPA requires federal agencies to address their cultural resources, which are defined as any prehistoric or historic district, site, building, structure, or object. Section 110 of the NHPA requires federal agencies to inventory and evaluate their cultural resources, and Section 106 requires them to determine the effect of federal undertakings on those potentially eligible for the NRHP. Fort McCoy is in west-central Wisconsin, entirely within Monroe County. It was first established as the Sparta Maneuver Tract in 1909. The post was renamed Camp McCoy in 1926. Since 1974, it has been known as Fort McCoy. It has one of the largest surviving collections of World War II WWII mobilization buildings. This report provides historic context and determinations of eligibility for 26 of those buildings and concludes that only two fire station and service club are eligible for the NRHP at the national level, under Criteria A and C. In consultation with the Wisconsin State Historic Preservation Officer, this work fulfills Section 106 and Section 110 processes for these buildings.