Historic Structure Assessment for Building 839, Carlisle Barracks: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Historic Preservation Training Center Frederick United States
Pagination or Media Count:
Building 839 at Carlisle Barracks is a farmhouse that was likely constructed in the middle 1850s. It was utilized as a farmhouse by individual owners until the Carlisle Indian Industrial School acquired the farm in 1887. The school utilized the house as living quarters for its farmer and as classroom space for the farm unit of the school until 1918. After the War Department reacquired Carlisle Barracks in 1918, the farm-house was used for officer housing. It was determined in a 2013 analysis and report to Carlisle Barracks that Building 839 should be included within the existing Carlisle Indian Industrial School National Historic Landmark District. Architectural historians at the U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center-Construction Engineering Research Laboratory ERDC-CERL, who conducted the previous analysis of Building 839, requested assistance from the Historic Preservation Training Center HPTC of the National Park Service to prepare an abbreviated Historic Structure Assessment Report HSAR. Besides the HSAR reported herein, the work also includes government Class C cost estimates for five potential treatments for Building 839 restoration, rehabilitation, stabilization and mothballing, relocation, and demolition.
- Humanities and History
- Structural Engineering and Building Technology