Accession Number:

AD0752256

Title:

Retention of First-Term Reserve Enlistment Program Personnel in the United States Army Reserve

Descriptive Note:

Master's thesis

Corporate Author:

ARMY COMMAND AND GENERAL STAFF COLL FORT LEAVENWORTH KS

Personal Author(s):

Report Date:

1972-06-16

Pagination or Media Count:

188.0

Abstract:

A command-level survey of the Army Reserve Commands ARCOMs revealed that they unanimously felt retention of first-term Reserve Enlistment Program REP 63 personnel is a major problem, that they exert a major effort to retain REP 63 personnel, that they exert a major effort to retain REP 63 personnel, that they need to retain an average of about 18 per cent of REP 63 personnel to sustain existing units, and that they are presently retaining only approximately 6 per cent. Troop-level survey findings indicated that 3 per cent of first-term REP 63 personnel plans to reenlist. This is only one-half of the actual retention rate the ARCOMs indicated. However, the survey also indicated that 16 per cent of those surveyed was uncertain about remaining in the Army Reserve. Should the ARCOMs be successful in reenlisting the group which plans to reenlist plus the total uncertain population, they could retain 19 per cent, which would exceed by 1 per cent the rate thought necessary to sustain existing units.

Subject Categories:

  • Personnel Management and Labor Relations

Distribution Statement:

APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE