Oceanographic Research Vessel USNS GIBBS (T-AGOR 1).
NAVAL RESEARCH LAB WASHINGTON D C
Pagination or Media Count:
The USNS GIBBS was built in 1943 as a seaplane tender. In 1958, it was converted to an oceanographic research vessel and was assigned to be the principal research vessel at Hudson Laboratories. In 1969, GIBBS was acquired by the Naval Research Laboratory to carry out programs in acoustic and oceanographic research. GIBBS is equipped to accommodate up to 24 scientistis and allows them to perform many diversified tasks at sea. There is a large laboratory area, consisting of several compartments, on the main deck, which includes space for electronic equipment in addition to communication and navigation gear. There is a large variety of deck machinery to enable over-the-side handling of various types and sizes of payloads. The ship has large open deck spaces, particularly on the stern, making it ideal for working and handling the experimental equipment. GIBBS has carried out extensive research programs in many ocean areas, from Hawaii to the Arctic, from South America to the Mediterranean. It has been a valuable contributor toward the goals of increased knowledge of the sea and related physical phenomena. Author
- Marine Engineering