Accession Number:

AD0679152

Title:

THE HISTORY OF THE JOHNNIAC,

Descriptive Note:

Corporate Author:

RAND CORP SANTA MONICA CA

Personal Author(s):

Report Date:

1968-10-01

Pagination or Media Count:

144.0

Abstract:

A description of the development and use of the Rand-built JOHNNIAC computer, which spanned the first decade of the computer industry. In 1950, Rand decided to build its own computer, partly on the advice of John von Neumann for whom JOHNNIAC was named to change from 604 wired programming to stored programming, and partly from the lack of suitable commercial machines. In design, JOHNNIAC was a Princeton-class machine. It became operative in mid- 1953, and although commercial machines gradually superseded the range of JOHNNIACs capabilities, it had high reliability and was used until early 1966, when it was retired to the Los Angeles County Museum. Besides numerous contributions to the programming art, achievements deriving from JOHNNIAC are the Rand Tablet and JOSS. Author

Subject Categories:

  • Computer Programming and Software
  • Computer Hardware

Distribution Statement:

APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE