Accession Number : ADA636578


Title :   A History of the Rock Island District U.S. Army Corps of Engineers 1866-1983


Corporate Author : ARMY ENGINEER DISTRICT ROCK ISLAND IL


Personal Author(s) : Tweet, Roald


Full Text : https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a636578.pdf


Report Date : Jan 1984


Pagination or Media Count : 453


Abstract : The story of the Corps of Engineers on the Mississippi River above St. Louis began shortly after the Louisiana Purchase in 1803 with the first tentative exploration by Major Stephen H. Long. Sporadic at first, the work of improving the channel of the Upper Mississippi became a permanent job in 1866 with the beginnings of the Rock Island District. This volume attempts to survey those early years of trial and experiment and provide a more detailed account of the growth and development of the Rock Island District from 1866 to the present.


Descriptors :   *ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS , *HISTORY , *MARINE TRANSPORTATION , *MISSISSIPPI RIVER , ARMY , BOATS , CANALS , CHANNELS(WATERWAYS) , CIVIL ENGINEERING , CONSTRUCTION , ENGINEERS , GEOGRAPHY , ILLINOIS , MILITARY ENGINEERING


Subject Categories : Humanities and History
      Hydrology, Limnology and Potamology
      Civil Engineering
      Military Forces and Organizations


Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE