Accession Number : AD0459090
Title : CORTICOSTEROID EFFECT ON AMINO ACID INCORPORATION BY RAT LIVER RIBONUCLEOPROTEIN PARTICLES,
Corporate Author : ARMY MEDICAL RESEARCH LAB FORT KNOX KY
Personal Author(s) : DeVenuto, Frank ; Lange, Robert J. G.
Report Date : 01 DEC 1964
Pagination or Media Count : 25
Abstract : The incorporation of the 14C label from leucine14C into protein is catalyzed by ribonucleoprotein particles (RNP) prepared from rat liver cells. The results obtained have demonstrated that, in the incubation system used, RNP-particles prepared from livers of normal and adrenalectomized rats incorporated 14C-labeled amino acid at a rate proportional to the length of time of incubation. When RNP-particles from livers of adrenalectomized rats are used, the 14C-amino acid incorporated into the protein is more than twice that with RNP-particles from normal rats. However, if adrenalectomized rats are injected with corticosterone and the RNP-particles from livers of these animals are added to the incubation system, the increased amino acid incorporation is eliminated. Preliminary electrophoretic separation of the labeled protein resulted in two protein peaks, the first representing 14% and the other 86% of the total protein, with the radioactivity associated entirely with the first protein peak. (Author)
Descriptors : , (*ADRENAL CORTEX HORMONES, PROTEINS), (*CORTICOSTEROID AGENTS, METABOLISM), BIOCHEMISTRY, AMINO ACIDS, LIVER, RATS, LABORATORY ANIMALS, LABELED SUBSTANCES, CATALYSIS.
Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE